American Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Pie Spice
180g salted butter (cold)
2½ cups plain flour
½ cup icing sugar (sifted)
¼ cup corn flour
100g ground pecans
2½ - 3 large eggs
Half of a medium Kent pumpkin (approx. 1.5kg) washed, peeled, cut into large chunks
3 egg whites
1 cup brown sugar, not packed
½ cup milk
100g sour cream
2½ tbsp corn flour
pinch of salt
How to Cook
For the pastry:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Place all dry ingredients and butter into a food processor. Process until the texture is similar to breadcrumbs.
3. Add in 2.5 eggs and pulse until dough comes together. Add the remaining egg if needed to form a soft dough.
4. Turn dough out and form into a ball, being careful not to over work the dough. Wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
5. Roll out to about 1cm thickness and carefully press into a 30cm greased case or pie dish.
6. Blind bake by placing a piece of baking paper on top of your pie case, then fill it with pastry weights. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove pastry weights and baking paper and continue to bake for 25 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
For the Filling:
1. Whilst the pastry is blind baking, wash, place pumpkin pieces into a baking dish. In a separate small saucepan on low heat, melt 40g butter with 1 ½ tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice.
2. Pour butter mixture over the pumpkin and toss to coat evenly.
3. Once pastry is removed from oven, set aside to cool. Then bake pumpkin for 45 minutes, until soft but not brown or crisp. Set pumpkin aside to cool.
4. Blitz baked pumpkin in a food processor until very smooth.
5. Add eggs and egg whites, one at a time, blitz. Then add sugar, remaining Pumpkin Pie Spice, milk and sour cream, blitz.
6. Add corn flour and a pinch of salt. Blitz together until all ingredients are evenly blended and corn flour is combined.
7. Pour mixture into the cooled pastry base and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the filling is set (watch for the filling to darken slightly, it is ready when it sets around the edges, with a slight jiggle in the center).
8. Cool completely (approx. 2 hours).
Enjoy pie with whipped cream. Store refrigerated.