Aussie Spiced Prawns with Avocado Salsa
Prawn And Crab Spice
For the prawns:
10 Green prawns
1 tbsp Olive Oil
3 bamboo skewers (optional)
For the salsa:
100ml red wine vinegar
1 tsp white sugar
1 French shallot, diced
1 large Avo (or two small)
Australian Black Peppercorns, freshly cracked
2 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp coriander leaves, washed
Aioli and rocket salad
How to Cook
1. Peel and de-vein prawns, keeping the head and tail attached for aesthetic reasons, if inclined.
2. Marinate the prawns in the olive oil and spice, leaving them in a non-reactive (ceramic or glass) bowl in the fridge for at least a couple of hours, or overnight.
3. In a small saucepan, bring vinegar, sugar and Pickling Spice to the boil, add diced shallots and remove from heat. Leave aside to cool then refrigerate until ready to use.
4. Preheat BBQ (if using a grill pan on the stove instead, make sure you finish the salsa first before heating).
5. Halve avocado, remove pip and skin and cut into small squares. In a small serving bowl, mix avocado with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grate half of the lime rind, cut the lime in half and squeeze the grated half’s juice into the bowl. Cut the remaining half again and keep these quarters as extras for when you serve.
6. Remove spice bag from the pickled shallots, and add strained shallots (you can add a tsp or two of the vinegar mixture if you like an extra tart salsa). Decorate with coriander leaves.
7. Skewer 3 or 4 prawns together as it makes them easier to quickly turn and therefore cook evenly.
8. Place on hot BBQ on high for 3 – 5 minutes, turning every 30 seconds until golden and cooked through.
9. Serve alongside salsa and lime wedges, adding aioli and rocket if you wish.