Baked Fish with Creamy Saffron Sauce
For the fish:
5 tbsp olive oil
5 Snapper fillets (or fish of your choice)
3 large potatoes
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 brown onion, thinly sliced
2 large tomatoes
2 tbsp capers
½ cup olives
Fresh parsley for garnish
For the creamy saffron sauce:
1 large shallot, finely diced
125ml water or white wine
3 tsp white wine vinegar
6 tbsp light cooking cream
100g unsalted butter, chilled & diced
How to Cook
To make the fish:
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. In a small bowl, mix 4 tablespoons of olive oil with Fish Spice. Rub the mix over fish and refrigerate.
3. Peel potatoes and slice into 1cm rounds. Place potatoes, garlic, onion and 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a bowl.
4. Cut one of the tomatoes in half and roughly grate into the bowl, discard the tomato skin and mix well. Season with salt and dried oregano.
5. Spread the vegetables across into the base of a large baking tray. Place the tray into the oven and bake for 30 minutes. The potatoes should be soft and almost cooked.
6. After 30 minutes, remove the tray from the oven. Slice the remaining tomato and place it on top of the potatoes along with the olives and capers.
7. Place the marinated fish fillets on top of the vegetables.
8. Put the tray back into the oven and bake for a further 20 minutes, or until fish and potatoes are well cooked.
To make the creamy saffron sauce:
1. Place the shallots, saffron, water (or white wine) and the vinegar in a small saucepan, and simmer on a LOW heat.
2. Gently stir until most of the liquid has evaporated and the shallots have softened.
3. Add the cream, and simmer for a further minute. Begin adding the butter one piece at a time, whisking thoroughly to incorporate it before adding the next piece.
4. Once all of the butter has been added and incorporated, season with salt to taste.
Serve the baked fish with fresh parsley and creamy saffron sauce.