Beef Casserole with Red Wine, Mushrooms and Bacon
Winter Soup Mix
200g streaky bacon, cut into small pieces
2-3 knobs salted butter
1kg rump steak, cut into 2cm cubes
2 tbsp corn flour
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
1 small leek, white part only & finely sliced
8 medium sized mushrooms, cut in half
500ml red wine
750ml beef stock
How to Cook
1. Place the cubed rump steak into a large bowl together with cornflour and half the Winter Soup Mix. Combine well.
2. Heat a small knob of butter in a casserole pot on MED-HIGH heat, add the bacon and cook until crispy. Remove the bacon and set aside in a bowl, leaving the bacon fat in the pot.
3. In the same pot, add the beef in small batches and cook until browned on both sides. Transfer to bowl with bacon once they are done. Add more butter if needed.
4. Turn the heat down and sauté vegetables with another small knob of butter.
5. Return the browned beef and 3/4 of the bacon to the pot. Keep the remaining bacon to serve.
6. Add the wine, stock and the rest of the Winter Soup Mix and combine well.
7. Cover and simmer for 2-3 hours.
Enjoy with creamy polenta, rice or some crusty bread!