Bratkartoffeln (Traditional German Pan-Fried Potatoes)
500g potatoes, waxy, boiling varieties (Kipfler are good)
2 tbsp sunflower oil, olive oil or dripping
50g Kaiserfleisch or bacon, diced
1 onion, peeled & diced
1 tsp salt
½ tsp ground pepper
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
How to Cook
1. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Add the potatoes, lower heat until simmering and cook for 15-18 minutes, or until tender. Drain off water.
2. Peel potatoes while hot. Cool and cut into 0.5cm thick slices.
3. Heat a cast-iron pan (preferably) or a heavy bottom non-stick pan and add the oil or dripping. When hot, add the potato slices. Fry only on one side until the potatoes are brown and crunchy.
4. Turn over and repeat, frying the other side of the potato slices until brown.
5. Season with Bratkartoffel Spice, salt and pepper.
6. Add the bacon and onion to the pan and sauté over MED – HI heat for approximately 1 minute. Stir the potatoes and fry for another 2 minutes.
7. Scatter with parsley and serve in the pan.
Serve at breakfast or serve as a side, with meat and fish dishes.