Buttermilk Waffles with Caramelised Apples
Apple Cake Spice
2 cups plain flour
3 tbsp brown sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup melted butter, cooled
2 eggs, separated
2 cups buttermilk (*or 2 cups milk with 2tbs vinegar /lemon juice)
2 tsp vanilla
3 Pink Lady Apples
4 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp water
How to Cook
1. Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form (thick and glossy peaks that hold their shape when lifting the beater).
2. Sift together the dry ingredients.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the cooled butter, egg yolks, buttermilk and vanilla until just combined.
4. Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients until combined.
5. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter in three stages.
6. Heat and grease the waffle maker. Cook as per waffle maker instructions.
Serve with caramelised apples and whipped cream.
1. Peel, core and thinly slice the apples (2-3mm) toss with the brown sugar, vanilla and spice. If time permits, set aside for 1-2 hours.
2. Melt the butter in a pan over medium low heat. Strain the apples, reserving any liquid, and fry for one minute. Add the remaining liquid and water to the pan and cover, cooking over low for three minutes until soft, shaking the pan occasionally.
3. Uncover the apples and cook for a further minute to thicken the sauce.
4. Spoon over the waffles and serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
· The mixture can be made into pancakes, just skip separating the eggs and whisk the whole eggs into wet mix.
· Buttermilk brands vary. If your mixture is too thick, before adding the egg whites, add an additional ¼ cup of milk.