Cardamom Pistachio Pavlova with Rose Cream, Kiwifruit & Mango
Rose Petal Powder / Cardamom Pistachio Sugar
For the base:
166g egg whites (approx. 4 large eggs)
170g caster sugar
130g coconut sugar
For the cream:
1 ½ cups thickened cream
For the topping:
3 kiwis, peeled & cut into 0.5cm discs
1 mango, peeled & cut into 0.5cm discs off the cheeks
1 small tin of passionfruit in syrup
How to Cook
This recipe is inspired by Ottolenghi’s pavlova in “Sweet” & is a Swiss meringue style pavlova. Read tips & tricks on our blog before you start baking.
1. Preheat oven to 100°C (fan-forced) and boil water in the kettle.
2. Draw a 25cm diameter circle on baking paper, place upside down on a baking tray. Set aside.
3. Separate egg whites & weigh into a very clean, dry bowl. Weigh in caster sugar and coconut sugar.
4. Fill a saucepan with approximately 2-3 cups boiling water and place on LOW to MED heat on your stove. Select a saucepan that will allow the egg white bowl to sit on top of it, without touching the water.
5. Combine sugars and egg whites, and whisk by hand. Whisk gently until it reaches 60°C (use a sugar thermometer to gauge the temperature).
6. Remove from heat once all sugar crystals have dissolved. Add spice and whisk with an electric beater on MED for approximately 5 minutes, until mix is glossy, thick and stiff. Spread onto baking paper with a spatula (stay within the circle). The centre should be a bit lower than the outside.
7. Bake for 3 hours, opening the oven occasionally to allow moisture to escape. Leave in oven for 2 more hours with the door ajar.
8. To make the cream: beat cream with an electric mixer. Once it starts to thicken, beat in rose powder and sugar. Spread on top of pavlova evenly.
9. To make the fruit topping: layer kiwifruit then mango, and then pour the passionfruit over the top. Finish with a sprinkle of Cardamom Pistachio Sugar.
Serve and enjoy immediately.