Chermoula BBQ Chicken with Coriander Verde
600g free-range chicken thighs (you can use any cut of chicken & adjust cooking time accordingly)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 pieces of lemon peel
2 cloves garlic, peeled and slightly squashed
For the coriander salsa verde:
1 1/2 garlic cloves, peeled
3 cups fresh mixed herbs (mainly parsley, but basil, mint, chives or rocket are all great additions)
1 cup fresh coriander, leaves picked
5 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
Greek yoghurt and fresh pomegranate seeds
4 wedges of fresh lemon
How to Cook
1. Blend the Chermoula Spice, olive oil, lemon peel and garlic cloves. Marinate the chicken thighs in a non-reactive bowl (glass, enamel or ceramic). Best left refrigerated overnight or for a minimum of 2 hours.
2. For the coriander salsa verde: use a large mortar and pestle or a small food processor. Crush up the garlic and salt together, then add herbs and grind into a rough paste.
3. Finally, add olive oil and vinegar and stir or blend through.
4. Season to taste with extra salt and freshly cracked pepper.
5. Preheat a BBQ or grill pan to high. Discard the lemon peel and garlic cloves from the chicken marinade. Sear each side of the chicken thighs for about 5 minutes until browned.
6. Turn the heat down to low and leave for 20 minutes to cook through.
7. Baste with any leftover marinade and cook for another 5 minutes on medium heat until cooked*.
*Chicken thighs are ready when juices run clear upon being sliced – otherwise use a meat thermometer to ensure chicken is approximately 70 – 75⁰C.
Decorate your serving plates or platter with rocket, if using. Arrange the chicken thighs on top, spoon over coriander salsa and a little yoghurt. Decorate with pomegranate seeds and lemon wedges.
Also try serving alongside wilted greens, toasted almonds and boiled potatoes, all dressed in a garlic herb butter.