Chocolate Gingerbread Love Cake
¼ cup strong honey (90g)
3 cups almond meal
120g salted butter, softened
¼ cup cocoa nibs (25g)
250g plain yoghurt
3 heaped tbsp coconut sugar or brown sugar
2 lightly beaten eggs
50g grated dark chocolate, plus extra to serve if desired
How to Cook
A festive take on the classic Persian variety, this scrumptious cake is grain-free and gluten-free. With simple ingredients, this recipe is made quickly and will be a favourite for adults and children alike.
1. Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 23cm cake pan.
2. In a bowl, combine honey, almond meal, 3tbsp Dutch cocoa and the butter in a bowl.
3. Spoon half the mixture into another bowl and fold the cocoa nibs through. Spread the mixture into your prepared pan and press down to form an even base. If it is sticking to the back of the spoon, dip the spoon in hot water to smooth the surface and set aside.
4. To the remaining half of the mixture, add plain yoghurt, Gingerbread Spice, 1 tbsp of the cocoa, coconut sugar or brown sugar, lightly beaten eggs and the grated chocolate. Beat with a wooden spoon until creamy.
5. Pour mixture over the base and tap the tin to level the top of the cake. Proceed to bake for 40-45 minutes.
6. Cool on a wire rack.
The cake is best left to rest for a day or overnight before eating. Serve with yoghurt or grated chocolate and a mug of Organic Gingerbread Tea.