Chocolate Spiced Tiramisu
300ml very strong black coffee
250g mascarpone cheese
500ml thickened cream
100ml Marsala wine
175g pack Savoiardi biscuits (Italian sponge fingers)*
How to Cook
The best dish to make this in is a square or rectangular ceramic baking dish. You can also make them in individual bowls, glasses or cups, just simply break up the Savoiardi biscuits to fit. If making a tiramisu to travel or for a picnic, a cute idea is to use a vintage biscuit tin to make the tiramisu in.
*Depending on the size of your dish and the brand of Savoiardi biscuits, you will use a different number of biscuits. It is best to test and count the biscuits before you start, making sure you have enough to make two complete layers in your selected dish.
1. Use 2-3 tablespoons of instant coffee in boiling water. Pour into a shallow bowl and set aside or pop it in the refrigerator until it is at room temperature.
2. In a stand mixer, whisk mascarpone cheese, thickened cream and Vanilla Bean Sugar until light and fluffy. Separate a quarter of the mixture into a smaller bowl. Add the Chocolate Spice, stirring gently to combine.
3. Add the Marsala wine to the cooled coffee mixture. Have your square dish, or other serving vessels ready.
1. Dip in a few sponge fingers into the coffee and marsala mixture at a time, turning for a few seconds until they are nicely soaked, but not soggy or falling apart.
2. Layer these into your dish until you have used half the biscuits, covering the bottom of the dish.
3. Spread a third of the vanilla cream mixture evenly over the biscuit layer with a spatula. Then, spread all the Chocolate Spiced cream and sprinkle half of the grated chocolate on top.
4. Create another layer with the remaining half of biscuits, soaked in the coffee mixture, followed by a layer of the remaining vanilla cream. Finish with the remaining grated chocolate over the top.
5. Cover and place in the refrigerator for a couple of hours, or until ready to serve. Tiramisu tastes even better the next day, so don’t be worried about making this too far in advance!
When ready to serve, cut out square slices of tiramisu and dust with additional Chocolate Spice.