Creamy Cauliflower & Garlic Lovers’ Gratin
Garlic Lovers' Spice
1 whole cauliflower, cut into florets
4 tbsp unsalted butter
3 cups/750 mls milk
¾ cup Gruyere cheese, grated
½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
½ cup panko breadcrumbs
½ tsp ground black pepper
¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
How to Cook
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Blanche cauliflower florets in boiling water with 1 tsp. salt for about 6 minutes or until just tender. Drain cauliflower and sprinkle with 1 tsp of salt.
3. In a medium pot gently heat 3 cups of milk until just before boiling point. Take care not to scold.
4. In a separate medium pot, melt 4 tbsp of unsalted butter then whisk in 3 tbsp of flour and 2 tbsp of Garlic Lovers’ Spice.
5. Cook off for a few minutes then add heated milk and whisk thoroughly until it begins to thicken.
6. Take off heat then add ½ cup grated Parmesan and ½ cup grated Gruyere, mixing thoroughly.
7. Season sauce with black pepper, grated nutmeg and 1 tbsp salt.
8. Spread a third of sauce onto bottom of your baking dish then tumble cauliflower on top. Pour remaining sauce on top of cauliflower.
9. In a small bowl mix breadcrumbs with remaining ¼ cup grated Gruyere and 2 tbsp Garlic Lovers’ Spice.
10. Sprinkle crumb on top of cauliflower and bake in oven for 25-30 mins until crisp and golden on top.