Easter Bun Tea Pashka
Organic Easter Bun Tea
1 cup thickened cream
½ cup full cream milk
3 free range egg yolks
1 tbsp cornflour
50g almond flakes
600g fresh ricotta
50g dark chocolate, finely chopped
100g dried pear, finely chopped
80 g currants
1 tsp vanilla essence
50mL Pedro Ximenez sherry
For the pears:
250mL boiling water
1 fresh Bosc pear, cored and quartered
Kulich or brioche to serve
How to Cook
1. In a saucepan, add 2 tbsp of Easter Tea to the thickened cream and milk and gently warm (do not boil). Once warmed, remove from heat and allow to infuse for an hour.
*(If you choose to add the sherry, place dried pears and currants in a small bowl and pour over the sherry, also allowing to sit and infuse for an hour).
2. Strain cream mixture to remove tea leaves, then return it to the stove top to warm up (but not boil). Then remove from heat.
3. Whisk egg yolks, sugar and cornflour together in a mixing bowl. Add small amounts of the warm cream mixture to the eggs, whisking as you go, until well combined. Pour back into the saucepan and gently heat for about 10 min until custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Set aside to cool.
4. Line a large colander with two layers of cheesecloth.
5. In a fry pan, toast flaked almonds until just golden, then set aside.
6. Cream together ricotta, vanilla essence and butter in a large mixing bowl.
7. Fold custard evenly through ricotta mixture, add the dried fruit (strained if it was soaked in sherry), chocolate and almond flakes.
8. Pour into prepared colander and cover with any overhanging cheesecloth. Place a dinner plate over the top, weighed down with a heavy item. Position the colander on top of a container or bowl over to catch the drained off liquid. Refrigerate overnight.
For the pears:
1. Infuse boiling water with tea and Vanilla Bean Sugar for 5 min.
2. Strain to remove tea leaves, catch in a small saucepan and add pear pieces. Simmer for 10 min until pears are tender.
3. Remove pears and continue to carefully boil down the liquid until it becomes a syrup (another 10-15 min).
4. Pour syrup back over pears and leave to cool to at least room temperature before serving, or place in the fridge until ready.
Turn Pashka out onto serving plate, remove cheesecloth, garnish with pear quarters and any additional syrup. Enjoy spread over kulich or toasted brioche.