Festive Ribeye Roast
Ribeye Roast Rub
3-4 red Spanish onions, halved
6-8 whole shallots
1.9 kg, 3 prong Ribeye Roast (allow to come to room temperature at least half hour before roasting)
30ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
How to Cook
1. Preheat oven to 250°C, or as hot as your oven will go.
2. In a bowl, combine spice & olive oil to form a paste. Cover the roast with the paste & set aside.
3. Arrange Spanish onions & whole shallots on an oven tray.
4. Add 2 cups of water to tray, or enough to just cover the onions.
5. Set a roasting rack over the onions in the oven tray, then sit the roast on the rack. Place roast on lowest rack in oven & cook at 250°C for 45 mins.
6. Then reduce temperature to 180°C & roast for a further 30 mins. Check water level in tray & add another 1-2 cups of water if needed.
7. Finally, increase the temperature back up to 230°C & cook for a further 15 mins for medium rare or 30 mins for medium well done. If you have a meat thermometer, use the following temperatures as a guide:
Medium rare – Remove at 50°C
Medium – Remove at 55°C
Medium well – Remove at 60°C
Well done – Remove at 65°C
8. Take out & rest covered with foil 20-30 mins before cutting.
Serve with onions & shallots. Pair with Perfect Roast Potatoes.