3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, peeled and chopped
3 sticks celery, chopped
1 fennel bulb, chopped, fronds reserved for garnish
5 cloves garlic, chopped
4 tomatoes, chopped
400 g potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm square chunks
1 l fish, vegetable or chicken stock
Gewürzhaus Murry River Pink Salt Flakes
600 g fish fillets, such as flathead or red mullet
500 g clams, pippies or similar
Juice of 1 lemon
¼ cup each fresh flat leaf parsley and dill, roughly chopped
Crusty bread, butter and aioli, to serve
How to Cook
1. Prepare all ingredients as described.
2. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan and add the onions, celery and fennel with a good pinch of salt. Cook over medium heat for about 5 min, stirring often until softened. Add the garlic and Fish Spice and cook for another 5 – 8 min., until everything is very soft and the spice smells fragrant.
3. Add the bay leaves, chopped tomatoes and potatoes, stir, then pour in the stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 – 20 min. or until the potatoes are cooked through.
4. Add the fish fillets and cook for about 5 minutes, then add the clams and cook for additional 5 min., or until the clams have fully opened.
5. Stir through the lemon juice and fresh herbs, breaking up the fish fillets gently, and season to taste.
Serve in bowls with a good dollop of aioli on top and plenty of crusty bread and butter on the side.