Gingerbread Cookies (Lebkuchen)
125g caster sugar
500g plain flour
1 egg (lightly beaten)
1 tsp potasche
1 tbsp water
Potasche can be substituted with:
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
How to Cook
1. Combine honey, sugar, and Copha in a medium-sized saucepan.
2. Stir over LOW heat until the Copha is melted and the sugar is dissolved. Mixture should be bubbling gently. Remove from heat and allow it to cool slightly for approximately 5 minutes.
3. Transfer into a large mixing bowl or bowl of stand mixer (with paddle attachment). Sift flour, cocoa and Gingerbread Spice (Lebkuchen) together.
*** If using bicarbonate of soda and baking soda instead of potasche add to the mixture now.
4. Stir half of the flour mixture into the honey mixture using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer. Mix in the egg.
5. Dissolve Potasche in 1 tbsp of water (making sure to stir, until it looks clear). Then add to the dough and mix until it is incorporated.
6. Add the rest of the flour mixture, bit by bit, until the dough comes together.
7. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface, knead gently until the mixture loses its stickiness. (Add a little more flour if needed) The dough should be nice and warm and easy to knead.
8. Shape into a flat disc, cover with cling film and rest in the fridge for about 1 hour.
9. When ready to roll out dough, pre-heat oven to 180°C.
10. Remove dough in fridge and roll dough on lightly floured work surface to about ½ cm thickness. (If dough is too firm, leave for a few minutes to soften.)
11. Cut shapes from dough using a cookie cutter, re-rolling dough as necessary. Place shapes on oven trays lined with baking paper.
12. Bake in oven for about 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
13. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool
10. Decorate with Icing for Gingerbread Cookies.