Gingerbread cookies (Lebkuchen)
45g butter (unsalted)
112g caster sugar
400g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
How to Cook
1. Combine butter, sugar and honey in a small saucepan, stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved, and butter melted.
2. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and cool for 5 minutes.
3. Add sifted dry ingredients and eggs. Mix with a stand mixer or hand mixer until everything is incorporated and the dough comes together.
4. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface, knead gently until the mixture loses its stickiness. (Add a little more flour, if needed.)
5. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
6. When ready to roll dough, pre-heat oven to 180°C. Roll dough on lightly floured work surface to about ½ cm thickness.
7. Cut shapes from dough using a cookie cutter, re-rolling dough as necessary.
8. Place shapes on oven trays lined with baking paper
9. Bake in oven for about 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer onto a cooling rack to cool.
10. Decorate with Icing for Gingerbread Cookies.