Gingerbread Spiced Trifle with Poached Pears & Gingerbread Caramel
Gewürzhaus Gingerbread Spice
5 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
½ cup cornflour
½ cup self raising flour
6 brown pears
2 cinnamon quills
Vanilla Bean Cream
600 mls thick cream
1 cup slivered almonds (optional)
How to Cook
1. Make the gingerbread sponges. Allow 40 minutes plus cooling. Scroll below for the recipe.
2. Gently poach the pears. Allow 15 minutes plus cooking. Scroll below for the recipe.
3. Make caramel. Allow 15 minutes. Scroll below for the recipe.
4. Slice each gingerbread sponge carefully in half across middle to create 4 disc-shaped sponge layers.
5. Place a sponge layer at bottom of bowl and pour 1 ladle of the poaching liquid over sponge to moisten.
6. Add ⅓ of poached pear slices on top of sponge layer.
7. Add a layer of whipped Vanilla Bean cream and drizzle with ⅓ of the caramel and ⅓ of the almonds.
8. Proceed with next sponge layer and repeat the pear, cream and caramel layers.
9. Once you’ve added final sponge layer, moisten with poaching liquid, add final topping of whipped cream and remaining Gingerbread caramel. Top with 3 pear halves. Chill in fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight before serving.
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees. Line baking tins with baking paper.
2. In a large bowl, whip egg whites until light and fluffy. Slowly whisk in sugar, then whisk in egg yolks one by one.
3. Sift in remaining dry ingredients and fold through gently with spatula until combined.
4. Divide batter event between 2 x 20cm tins.
5. Bake for 18 minutes. Allow to cool.
1. Peel pears and cut carefully in half. Gently remove cores.
2. Place pears in pot, cover with water.
3. Add Vanilla Bean Sugar and cinnamon quills.
4. Simmer on gentle heat for about 6 mins until pears are just tender.
5. Remove pears. Keep 3 halves aside with stem on for decoration.
6. Slice rest of pears for trifle filling.
7. Reserve poaching liquid for moistening sponge.
Vanilla Bean Cream
1. Whip cream and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Chill in fridge until needed.
1. In a medium pot, add salted caramel and Gingerbread Spice. Whisk in and simmer gently until runny consistently.
2. Set aside for the trifle assembly.
Alternative serving suggestion: Arrange halved pears around the edge of the trifle bowl and add the layers of sponge to the inside.