Jerk Mac & Cheese
Gewürzhaus Jerk Spice
3 cups macaroni, uncooked
3 level tbsp flour
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
750ml full cream milk
2 large stalks of silverbeet
1 spring onion, chopped
1 large tomato, diced
Salt to taste
1 ½ cups extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
½ cup smoked cheese, grated
½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 heaped cup panko breadcrumbs
4 rashers bacon, sliced
How to Cook
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
2. Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Cook macaroni until al dente, drain and set aside.
3. Melt butter in a saucepan over a medium heat, then add the flour. Stir with a whisk for a couple of minutes or until the mixture is smooth.
4. Add the chopped garlic and bay leaves and stir briefly.
5. Continue whisking whilst slowly adding the milk. Once all of the milk is incorporated and the mixture is smooth, add the silverbeet, spring onion, tomato, Jerk Spice, paprika and salt and stir through the milk mixture. Add the bacon now if using. Bring the mixture to the boil.
6. Add cheddar cheese and smoked cheese and stir until melted.
7. Finally add in the cooked macaroni, combine well. Pour into a baking dish.
8. Combine breadcrumbs, parmesan and Louisianan Cajun and sprinkle over the macaroni mixture. Bake for 25 minutes at 180°C degrees or until the crumbs are golden.
Cool for 10 min before serving.
Serve as a side dish or as a main with a side of Southern Slow Cooked Greens.