No-Nasties Nut Bars
2 cups almonds
1 cup cashews
1/2 cup walnuts or hazelnuts or pecans
1 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup chia seeds
1 cup shredded coconut
1/6 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup chopped dates (optional if you would like a bit more sweetness)
Pinch of salt
150g rice malt syrup
55g coconut oil
How to Cook
1. Preheat oven to 170°C (fan-forced).
2. Place all nuts, sunflower seeds & chia seeds into a large baking tray & mix. Bake for 5 mins.
3. Add coconut & sesame seeds & mix. Bake for a further 3 mins.
4. Set aside to cool. Reduce oven temp. to 160°C.
5. Blitz approx. 1 cup of the mixture in a food processor until a coarse flour forms, then place into a large bowl with the rest of the roasted ingredients. Add dates (if using) spice & salt. Combine well.
6. Place the syrup & oil into a small saucepan, heat slowly on LOW heat, stirring until the ingredients are well combined & just bubbling.
7. Pour over dry ingredients & mix to combine.
8. Press into a lined 30cm x 20cm sandwich baking tray so the top is smooth & flat. Use a second sheet of baking paper to press down if the mixture is too sticky.
9. Bake for 15 mins or until small bubbles start forming.
10. Cool. Cut into 18 bars & store in an airtight container.