Perfect Roast Potatoes
Garlic Lovers' Spice
1 level tsp baking soda
2kg Desiree Potatoes, skin on, cut into thirds on an angle to maximise surface area
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
How to Cook
1. Adjust oven rack to centre position and preheat oven to 240°C.
2. Heat water in a large pot over high heat until boiling. Add kosher salt, baking soda, and potatoes and stir.
3. Return to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until a knife meets little resistance when inserted into a potato chunk, about 10-15 minutes after returning to a boil.
4. When potatoes are almost cooked, combine olive oil with Garlic Lovers’ Spice in a small saucepan and simmer for 1 minute.
5. When cooked, drain and rest them in the pot for 1 minute to allow excess moisture to evaporate.
6. Add hot infused oil and season to taste with a little more salt and toss to coat, shaking pot roughly, until a layer of mashed potato–like paste has built up on the potato chunks.
7. Transfer potatoes to a large baking sheet and spreading them out evenly.
8. Roast without moving them for 20 minutes.
9. Turn potatoes and continue roasting for 30 minutes until potatoes are deep brown and crisp all over, opening the oven door every now and then to release steam.
Season with salt and serve immediately.