Persian Love Cake
Cardamom Pistachio Sugar
3 ½ cups almond meal
¾ cup Demerara sugar
120 g. butter, at room temperature
2 free range eggs
250 g. natural yoghurt, plus extra to serve
Zest of 1 orange
50 g. raw pistachios, chopped
How to Cook
1. Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 26cm cake pan.
2. In a food processor, pulse together the almond meal, sugars, butter and a pinch of salt until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
3. Spoon half the mixture into your prepared pan and press down to form an even base.
4. Add the eggs, yoghurt, half the orange zest and spices to the remaining crumb and pulse until smooth and creamy. Pour over the base, and tap the tin to level the top of the cake. Scatter the top with pistachios and bake for 30-35 minutes or until cake is golden.
5. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Mix together yoghurt, remaining orange zest and 1 tsp. of Cardamom Pistachio Sugar to serve.
This cake will keep in an airtight container for up to a week.