Dukkah Crusted Falafel Pita
Smoky Almond Dukkah
250g dried chickpeas (soaked in water overnight) or 500g tinned chickpeas
2 pieces of bread or 1/2 cup of flour*
1 clove of garlic
1/2 bunch of parsley
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups rice bran oil
3 tomatoes, diced
1 Lebanese cucumber, diced
1/2 cup mint, chopped
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt & pepper to taste
4 pita bread
Lemons to serve
*GF bread/flour can be used
How to Cook
1. If using bread, run under cold water for a few seconds just enough to dampen.
2. Place the drained chickpeas, dampened bread or flour, parsley, garlic, spices, salt & 2 tbsp olive oil into a blender. Blend until a smooth paste forms, add a little water if the mixture is too dry & crumbly.
3. To roll your falafel, have a bowl of water near to keep your hands wet. Take approx. 1 heaped tablespoon of falafel mix in your hands & roll into balls. Then roll in the Smoky Almond Dukkah & set aside.
4. Heat the rice bran oil in a saucepan over Med – HI heat, shallow fry the falafel until golden & crunchy, keep batches in a warm oven until ready to serve, or oven bake at 220°C until golden brown for approx. 30 mins.
5. To make the salad, place the tomatoes, cucumber, herbs into a bowl & dress with lemon juice, 2 tbsp olive oil, salt & pepper just before serving.
6. To serve, gently warm your pita bread in the oven at 180°C for 3 mins until soft but not crunchy.
7. Cut your pita in half & fill with hummus, falafel & top with salad. Drizzle with olive oil & a squeeze of lemon juice.