Slow Cooked Greek Lamb Shoulder
Greek Grilling Spice
Lamb shoulder, bone-in (approx 2 kgs)
3 red onions, peeled & each cut into three thick discs
3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
Murray River Sea Salt
5 fresh figs, halved
How to Cook
1. Heat oven to 200°C (conventional).
2. Remove excess fat & score the top side of lamb, approx. 1cm deep.
3. Arrange onions & celery in the base of a roasting pan. Combine apple cider vinegar with the water & pour over the vegetables.
4. Place meat on top of the vegetables scored side up. Rub the meat with the spice & olive oil, being sure to get into all crevices.
5. Place sliced garlic & fresh rosemary into the incisions. Season with salt & cracked black pepper.
6. Cover the roasting pan tightly with foil (this is important so it does not dry out).
7. Place on the middle shelf of the oven & immediately turn the heat down to 130°C.
8. Cook for 4.5 hrs then remove foil & increase oven to 180°C. Add the halved figs & continue cooking for another 30 mins.
9. Rest for 20 mins.
10. Serve with baked figs & Creamy Salsa Verde.