Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks
4 lamb shanks
2 tbsp plain flour
6 tbsp olive oil
2 small onions (diced)
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
250ml white wine
4ooml beef stock
1 tinned tomatoes (diced)
3 carrots (cut into 1cm rounds)
2 tsp fresh rosemary (chopped)
2 tbsp fresh thyme
How to Cook
1. Mix flour and 2 tablespoons of spice into a large zip lock bag, add lamb shanks and shake to coat.
2. In a heavy based saucepan, brown the shanks on all sides in 4 tablespoons of oil.
3. Remove lamb and add extra oil if needed, cook onions until golden and translucent, then add garlic and cook a further few minutes.
4. Add all other ingredients, including the remaining spice and shanks, and season to taste.
5. Mix, cover and cook in a 160°C oven for 2.5 hours or in a slow cooker on LOW for 6 hours.
Best enjoyed with mashed potatoes or polenta and a dollop of sour cream.