Spanish Seafood Paella
Spanish Skewer & Bbq Spice
500ml fish stock & 1 fish bone frame
500g seafood (eg. 200g whole prawns, 200g mussels (cleaned), 100g sliced calamari)
1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion (finely diced)
2 garlic cloves (crushed)
2 large ripe tomatoes
4 piquillo peppers (sliced)
180g Bomba rice or any short grain rice
50g fresh or frozen peas
1 lemon, cut into wedges to serve
How to Cook
1. Remove prawn heads, shells & de-vein, set flesh aside. Place the stock, fish frame, cleaned prawn heads & shells in a large pot. Simmer over MED heat for 25 mins, strain & set stock aside.
2. Submerge tomatoes in boiled water for 5 mins, peel the skins, crush & finely chop.
3. Soak saffron in 1 tbsp of hot water & set aside.
4. Heat 1 tbsp oil in the pan over HI heat, add onion, sauté until translucent. Add garlic, tomatoes, peppers & spice. Cook for 3 mins.
5. Turn heat to LOW, add rice, gently stir & spread evenly in the pan.
6. Add 400ml of stock, saffron & water mix. Bring to the boil, then simmer on MED heat for 10 mins, until most of the stock has been absorbed. Do not stir, rotate the pan to ensure it cooks evenly.
7. Arrange seafood on top of rice. Turn heat to LOW-MED, cover pan with foil & cook until prawns are opaque(approx. 5 mins) & mussels have opened. Turn prawns over halfway through cooking. Add more stock if needed.
8. Scatter peas over the top, cover again & cook for 2 more mins, to help achieve a crispy base.
9. Remove from heat, leave covered & allow to rest for 5-10 mins.
10. Season & garnish with parsley & lemon wedges.