Spanish Seafood Paella
Spanish Skewer & Bbq Spice
500ml fish stock & 1 fish bone frame
500g seafood (eg. 200g whole prawns, 200g mussels (cleaned), 100g sliced calamari)
1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion (finely diced)
2 garlic cloves (crushed)
2 large ripe tomatoes
4 piquillo peppers (sliced)
180g Bomba rice or any short grain rice
50g fresh or frozen peas
1 lemon, cut into wedges to serve
How to Cook
1. Remove prawn heads, shells and de-vein, set flesh aside. Place the stock, fish frame, cleaned prawn heads and shells in a large pot. Simmer over MED heat for 25 minutes, strain and set stock aside.
2. Submerge tomatoes in boiled water for 5 minutes, peel the skins, crush and finely chop.
3. Soak saffron in 1 tablespoon of hot water and set aside.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the pan over HI heat, add onion, sauté until translucent. Add garlic, tomatoes, peppers and spice. Cook for 3 minutes.
5. Turn heat to LOW, add rice, gently stir and spread evenly in the pan.
6. Add 400ml of stock, saffron and water mix. Bring to the boil, then simmer on MED heat for 10 minutes, until most of the stock has been absorbed. Do not stir, rotate the pan to ensure it cooks evenly.
7. Arrange seafood on top of rice. Turn heat to LOW-MED, cover pan with foil and cook until prawns are opaque (approximately 5 minutes) and mussels have opened. Turn prawns over halfway through cooking. Add more stock if needed.
8. Scatter peas over the top, cover again and cook for 2 more minutes to help achieve a crispy base.
9. Remove from heat, leave covered and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes.
Season and garnish with parsley and lemon wedges.