Spiced Fish Bites with Mint Yoghurt Dipping Sauce
For the dipping sauce:
Pinch Gewürzhaus Murray River Pink Salt
1 tbsp fresh mint, finely sliced, plus extra to decorate
2 tsp pomegranate molasses
For the fish:
350g fresh flathead tails (whiting or dory fillets sliced into smaller bite sized pieces)
3 tbsp plain flour
1 cup panko crumbs
1 free-range egg, whisked
Sunflower Oil (for deep frying)
Extra salt flakes and pepper
Rocket leaves for garnish.
How to Cook
1. Mix yoghurt, salt, pepper and mint together in a small serving bowl and set aside in the fridge.
2. Have three large plates or shallow bowls ready for breading the fish: one with egg, one with flour and spice mix and one with panko crumbs.
3. Coat fish pieces first in egg, then spiced flour and finally panko before.
4. Also prepare a large plate covered with a few layers of kitchen towel.
5. Heat oil in deep fryer (or in large saucepan) and have a deep-frying skimmer (or slotted spoon) on hand to assist in getting the cooked fish out.
6. Carefully lower fish pieces away from your body, into the hot oil.
7. Do not over crowd the oil with too many pieces of fish, 5 pieces at a time should be sufficient (depending on the size of your deep fryer or saucepan).
8. Fry for 3-5 minutes until golden brown before removing and placing on kitchen towel to remove excess oil.
9. Decorate serving platter with rocket. Drizzle molasses and sprinkle remaining mint over the yoghurt dip and place on platter, with fish pieces. Season to taste and serve immediately.