Sri Lankan Chicken Curry
Sri Lankan Curry Blend
1 kg chicken thighs
1 brown onion, chopped
1 green chilli
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 cloves of garlic
3 tbsp coconut oil
300ml coconut milk
How to Cook
1. Cut the chicken into 2-3cm pieces.
2. Toast the curry blend for a few mins in a pan over a MED heat until the spice changes to a darker colour. Add Chilli Kashmiri & turn off the heat.
3. Mix them together & transfer into a bowl.
4. Add half of roasted curry blend, turmeric & salt to the chicken & mix well. Leave aside for 15 mins.
5. Meanwhile, chop the green chilli (leave the seeds in for extra kick).
6. Bash lemongrass with a rolling pin & thinly slice, grate the garlic & ginger & mix to a paste.
7. Heat oil in a hot pan, add onion, garlic, ginger & lemongrass paste, curry leaves, cinnamon, cardamom, green chilli & sweat them until the onion is soft.
8. Add the remaining roasted curry blend & tomato, cook on a MED heat until aromatic & softened.
9. Add chicken & cook for 5-7 mins, stirring occasionally.
10. Add water, reduce the heat to a slow simmer & cook for 5-10 mins with lid on.
11. Finally, add the coconut milk bring to a simmer, cook gently for about 10 mins or until the chicken is cooked through.
Squeeze over juice of lime to taste, serve with steamed rice, Gewürzhaus Onion Sambal & flatbread.