Tempura Fish with Watercress & Pomegranate Salad
Australian Chicken Salt
Oil for frying (rice bran)
500g firm white fish fillets (8-10cm pieces for easy cooking)
1/4 cup cornflour
1/4 cup plain flour or cake flour
1/2 cup soda water (chilled)
1 small egg
Pinch of bi-carb soda
1 large bunch watercress
1 avocado (1cm cubes)
1/2 pomegranate (seeds)
How to Cook
1. Place a wide deep pot on the stove with at least 5-6 cm of oil & place on a MED-HI heat (180°C).
2. Toss your fish pieces in Fish Spice & set aside.
3. Mix the flours & baking soda in a bowl leaving a well in the centre & set aside.
4. Whisk together soda water & egg then mix gently into the flour to make a thin batter.
5. Add in a few ice cubes to keep your batter cold.
6. Dip your fish, piece by piece into the batter, wiping any excess away before dipping gently into the oil. Hold the piece halfway into the oil for a few seconds before letting go (this stops the tempura from sticking to the bottom of the pot).
7. Cook each piece for 5-6 mins or until golden.
8. Toss pieces in Australian Chicken Salt before serving with salad.
9. Wash the watercress (leave in long tendrils).
10. Toss watercress, pomegranate seeds & avocado cubes together. Dress with a 50:50 olive oil & lemon juice dressing.
11. Serve with fish & lemon wedges.