Whole Baked Cauliflower in Spiced Sultana & Maple Syrup Sauce
Ras el Hanout / Harissa / Rose Petal Powder
large cauliflower, approx. 25-30cm diameter
For the Sauce:
35g extra virgin olive oil plus extra
2 tbsp sultanas, finely chopped
25g salted butter
Zest & juice of half a lemon
20g maple syrup
1/2 tsp salt
For the Yoghurt:
2 tsp boiling water
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil plus extra
1 cup Greek-style yoghurt
How to Cook
1. Fill a large pot that will fit your cauliflower with water to about 1/2 to 3/4 full. Add salt until the water is unpleasantly salty to taste. Bring to the boil.
2. Make sure the cauliflower sits squarely on its base; if not, chop a touch off to level it. Do not cut off the leaves.
3. Trim the leaves at the top so that the crown of the cauliflower is exposed.
4. Once water is boiling, reduce heat slightly, add 2 tsp Ras el Hanout and add cauliflower upside down. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes at a rolling simmer, not a boil. Don’t overcook it; it should remain firm & not go soft. You are just giving it a small head start to soften it a touch for the sauce to seep in.
5. Remove, strain and let it cool for 20 minutes. At the same time, preheat oven to 220°C conventional.
6. For the sauce, combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and heat until the butter is melted. Stir briskly to thoroughly combine the ingredients.
7. When your oven has reached temperature, slowly work the sauce into the cauliflower to cover to. Work some into the centre of the cauliflower also, being careful not to break the florets.
8. Bake for 30 minutes or until the cauliflower is brown – almost burnt – on top. Baste with the juices and bake for a further 5 minutes.
9. In the meantime, make the harissa yoghurt by combining boiling water with harissa and rose powder, stirring and setting aside for 5 minutes. Add olive oil and stir. Stand for a further 2 minutes. Add yoghurt.
10. Serve hot with our Rose Harissa yoghurt as a side.