Apple Cake Spice
2 cups plain flour
Salt, a pinch
1 ½ cups cold butter, roughly chopped into 1cm cubes
¼ - ½ cup iced water
1 egg, beaten for brushing top of pie
5 Granny Smith apples
3 red Delicious apples
½ cup vanilla sugar ( plus 20g for sprinkling over the top)
50g butter, roughly chopped into 1cm cubes
2 tbsp plain flour
How to Cook
1. For the pastry, blend flour, spice, salt and 1 cup of butter in a food processor until it forms a crumb-like texture. Gradually add the water until a dough is formed and the texture is smooth. Add remaining chopped butter and briefly combine, leaving many lumpy bits (this creates a flakier pastry).
2. Divide pastry into two portions and roll each out to fit your pie dish.
3. Line a greased pie dish with one half of the rolled out pastry and lie the other one flat on a lined tray, then refrigerate.
4. For the filling, peel, core and halve the apples, then cut into 5mm slices. Toss through combined mixture of sugar, spice, and flour. Remove pie dish from fridge, fill with the apples and arrange chopped butter evenly over the top.
5. Cover with remaining pastry, trim the edges. With the tip of a knife, make a few cuts in the top to allow heat to escape, then brush with egg and sprinkle with remaining sugar, chill for 30 min.
6. Bake at 220°C. for 40 min., then turn the oven down to 190°C., until the pastry is cooked on the base (app. 1 hour).
Let rest for a couple of hours before cutting or removing from pie dish. Serve with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or pouring cream to your liking.