Tomato Galette with Native Red Gum Smoked Salt
Native Red Gum Smoked Salt
400g punnet medley tomatoes
1 Spanish onion
2 cups plain flour
150ml olive oil
5 tbsp chilled water
1 sprig fresh thyme
How to Cook
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. To make olive oil pastry: sift flour into large bowl with ½ tsp Native Red Gum Smoked Salt (finely ground between 2 spoons). Add 150ml olive oil and 5 tablespoons chilled water and mix with wooden spoon to combine. Use hands to knead into soft, pliable dough. Divide dough into 2 even balls to make two tarts. Cover dough with towel and allow to rest while preparing other ingredients.
3. Slice tomatoes in half lengthways. For the large tomatoes, cut into 1cm slices. Place in a bowl.
4. Cut Spanish onion in half lengthways then finely slice. Add to bowl with tomatoes, toss together gently to combine and sprinkle with ½ tsp Native Red Gum Smoked Salt.
5. Take 1 ball of dough and roll out between 2 large sheets of baking paper using rolling pin until forming approximately 30 cm disc. Take off top layer of baking paper leaving pastry on bottom layer of baking paper. Transfer to a large baking tray. Spoon tomato and onion mixture into centre of disc allowing 5cm gap around the edges. Gently fold edges of pastry to wrap around and cradle tomato filling. Gently shape galette with your hands to be nicely rounded.
6. Repeat the same process for second galette.
7. Bake in oven for 25 minutes until pastry is nice and golden.
Sprinkle with fresh thyme and a pinch of Native Red Gum Smoked Salt to serve.